We want to start by reminding you that if you are in search of a data science course, you can join Skill Shiksha’s comprehensive online data science course.
The data scientist is one of the professional profiles within data analysis and big data that is responsible for finding solutions to problems in data models and trends. To do this, it relies on machine learning tools and their mathematical and statistical knowledge.
The profile of the data scientist is a mix between a programmer, a mathematician, a statistician, and a scientist. Its role is born as a necessity in the face of the dilemma faced by companies with big data.
Data is important for business decision-making, but when this data arrives at an unimaginable speed and dimension, work becomes complicated. To help with the problem arises the work of the data scientist.
In general, data science is becoming a very promising profession with great expectations, so let’s see what the day-to-day life of this Big Data professional is like.
Data science is a continuation of other fields of analysis such as statistics, data mining, or predictive analytics.
What does a data scientist do?
There is no definitive job description when thinking about the role of the data scientist, but their primary role is to analyze and interpret large amounts of data.
Any Internet company handles a large amount of data and the problem arises when it comes to processing it. Thanks to machine learning, working and processing this data has become a much simpler and cheaper task.
The data scientist will extract information from structured and unstructured data and turn it into key knowledge for the company.
The difference with the data analyst is that the data scientist has a more global vision of the problem to be solved and analyzes data from different sources. He will often pass that data to the analyst who will have a single data source.
Data Scientist Responsibilities:
- a) Collect large amounts of data
- b) Transform raw collected data into suitable formats for analysis and processing
- c) Solve business-related problems using data-driven techniques
- d) Implementation and testing of modeling, classification, or prediction algorithms adjusted to the requirements of the problem
- e) Help in proposing solutions to business problems thanks to the knowledge obtained from the data
- f) Communicate and collaborate with IT and business areas
- g) Look for order and patterns in data, as well as to detect trends that can help the base of operation of a company
- h) Support in the preparation of reports on market studies
Data science uses programming techniques to analyze data statistically. For this reason, the data scientist must know programming and also statistics.
The data scientist uses programming to explain to the computer what he needs and then statistics to extract knowledge from the processed data. On the other hand, he must be able to communicate the results obtained to the relevant departments.
These are complex processes, and therefore they need to create simple data visualizations that a non-statistician can understand in order to make decisions.
Data needs someone who has creative curiosity and is very good at analysis to translate data into insights.
What knowledge does the data scientist need?
- Capacity for advanced data analysis in large volumes of both structured and unstructured information (Big Data)
- Programming languages like R and Python
- Have a broad command of statistics, including statistical and probability distributions and tests
- Advanced mathematical knowledge and optimization methods
- Knowledge of raw data preparation techniques
- Mastery of analytical techniques such as machine learning, deep learning, and text analytics
- Advanced knowledge of Artificial Intelligence
- Experience in data visualization techniques and tools
- Knowledge of mathematical algorithms to create predictive and automation models
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Critical and analytical thinking and proactive attitude
Training for Data Scientists
The data scientist usually has a degree in statistics or mathematics or systems engineering or another career in IT.
As big data storage and processing technologies have evolved, there has also been a need to specialize in this role.
Currently, there are already careers that focus on data science and analytics, so if you are thinking about what to study, this may be the option. In India, for example, you can find a degree in Data Science from the NMIMS University of Mumbai or from the Vellore Institute of Technology of Tamil Nadu.
For those who are already in the job market but find data exciting, if you have proficiency in problem-solving, good communication skills, and a curiosity to understand how things work, it is also possible for you to become a data scientist.
There are degrees and postgraduate degrees and there are also certifications such as CAP (Certified analytics professional) or the Open Certified Data Scientist (Open CDS).
In addition, there are countless online courses that can help you in the fields of:
- Statistics and machine learning
- Programming in R or Python
- Databases like MySQL and Postgres
- Big data y Hadoop
- Data visualization like Tableau
The salary of the data scientist will depend a lot on the experience of the professional. For the youngest profiles, it is similar to that of a data analyst and will be around INR 4,90,000 – 7,10,000 in India.
However, senior data scientists can be anywhere from INR 8,50,000 to INR 15,00,000.
On average we can say that the data scientist in Spain is earning around INR 8,00,000.
Salaries, in addition to the experience of the professional, will depend on the industry, the size of the company, or the place where the work is performed.
You might think that going to an expensive university to get a degree is the only way to get the job role of a data scientist. Well, for your information, it is not. The reason we are bringing this up, in the end, is because the person who has read this whole article is the only one qualified to read this.
In data science you don’t need a degree to thrive, you just need to be qualified to do the work and you can be qualified by acquiring a skill. You can become a highly skilled data scientist by joining the Skill Shiksha Online Data Science Course. we introduce you to a comprehensive course that gets you to become a proficient data scientist from a newbie without spending a lot of money.